Monday, October 17, 2011

Under The Net

Author: Iris Murdoch
First published in 1954
Thickness: 256 pages
Listed on 1001 books you must read before you die
Personal rating: 1 star


In short

Iris Murdoch’s first novel is a gem – set in a part of London where struggling writers rub shoulders with successful bookies, and film starlets with frantic philosophers. Its hero, Jake Donaghue, is a likable young man who makes a living out of translation work and sponging off his friends. A meeting with Anna, an old flame, leads him into a series of fantastic adventures. (www.goodreads.com)

My two cents 

As I haven't finished this novel, I haven't got much to say about it. 
The reason I quit reading it after about 50-60 pages, is because I found it to be dull, longwinding and it didn't ignite any spark. 
Under the Net might have been a wonderful novel back in its day, or for those who like this kind of romantic novels, but it surely wasn't my thing. 

Not that the writing was bad, or the characters not believable, nothing like that at all. It  just wasn't my cup of tea. 

Check out these other reviews!!!