Friday, April 25, 2014

Joyland


Another one by Stephen King. God, I love his writing! I've read almost anything that man ever wrote and he is my number one author by far. My husband asked me if I liked this book and I had to tell him that I did. I don't know why exactly, but I liked it. Once I was past half of the book I couldn't put it down. He hypnotizes you with words, no kidding. The next question my husband asked was if there was any book of Stephen King I didn't like. Believe it or not, I couldn't think of a single one. They all have this same quality to them. He weaves a story and you get stuck in it. With dozens of books written already you'd think he's get it wrong some day, maybe that's why I waited so long before reading this because of the HARD CASE CRIME series it was published for. That doesn't interest me one bit, and I thought King had gone off the deep end, but he managed to make me like, no love it!

Alright, that's enough praise shoved down your throat.
Joyland is a novella, about a young man going through a heartbreak and trying to work through it by volunteering at a carnivale. A kind of eighties Disneyland, before Disneyland began swallowing up the little places of fun. The places you adored when you were a kid, but when you see pictures you laugh at having been so silly and gullible. Still, almost everyone loves to go to a themepark. It's getting in touch with our inner little self and just having fun.
Well, Devin, the main character, is selling fun all summer long. During his time there he hears a story about the horror attraction being haunted. He never sees the ghost of a girl murdered there, but you still get goosebumps how King describes the setting. A paranormal crime novel. Kuddo's!
I know, again with the praise.
As he decides to take leave of school for a while and keep working at the entertainment park he digs deeper into the mystery with a little help from his friends. He also get to know a local woman and her son whose got a serious illness. Everyone plays a definite part in this novel and I liked it how King kept me on the edge of my seat.

Joyland is quickly read, and maybe that's it's only fault. I loved it and can't wait for the next King to be released!

I give it an 8 out of 10.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy reading mysteries, but sometimes that is all the book has going for it. But King is so gifted that it is the characters that elevate his stories to another level. I found myself caring more about the mother and her son, than the solution to the mystery.

    ReplyDelete