Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Dark Carnival


The collection of stories found in Dark Carnival is a trip into normal things turned into obscure and scary events.
Just think about something you'd never consider before. Things you take for granted. Ray Bradbury probably managed to turn it into some scary shit.
Your skeleton, for instance. Not something we actively think about, until you read a story about a man who believes his skeleton is working against him.
Or the rain, the wind, simple nature can become treacherous in Bradbury's hands.

I must admit, I'm not a fan of short stories, because I like to get invested in a story and therefore it takes a couple more pages than the average short fiction. Ray Bradbury must be the exception to my rule, because I already read several of his compilations and his stories seem to be as long as they need to be.
Of course there's the one that makes no sense, the one that drags on too long, but most of his stories deliver a quick, yet horrifying blow, which I like. It's like watching Tales of the Crypt when I was a lot younger. It might be trash, but it's enjoyable trash.
Not that I would call this collection trash, some of them are very good stories and most of them are interesting ideas turned haywire which makes them unique. I like his style, it might not be for everyone, but he's kind of unique in his story telling, at least in my humble opinion.

Check out these other reviews!!!