Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Wildwood by Colin Meloy

 


Synopsis: 

Prue McKeel's life is ordinary. At least until her brother is abducted by a murder of crows and taken to the Impassable Wilderness, a dense, tangled forest on the edge of Portland. No one's ever gone in, or at least returned to tell of it. So begins an adventure that will take Prue and her friend, Curtis, deep into the Impassable Wilderness. There they uncover a secret world in the midst of violent upheaval, a world full of warring creatures, peaceable mystics, and powerful figures with the darkest intentions. And what begins as a rescue mission becomes something much greater, as the two friends find themselves entwined in a struggle for the very freedom of this wilderness. A wilderness the locals call Wildwood. (Goodreads)


I liked this novel very much even with it being intended for a younger age. This would've been a book that my younger self would have loved. 

I'm currently in the midst of a larger household, with a very attention needy young son of a year and a half and finding myself lacking the time to read as much as I would like, even with covid-measures making sure we don't go on trips as much. 
This novel beautifully complimented that particular state of mind, as in I could easily dive in whenever I wanted to, even if it was just for a couple of minutes.

But it is more than that. Its lightweightedness (isn't a word, but I'm not letting it stop me) never meant that it lacked a decent story. It has adventure, heartbreak on a scale that a child would understand but that still ripped me up a little bit, it has a villain and it has heroes and at this time in my life I'm not asking for more.

Try it for yourself, but also introduce it to your kids (maybe from the age of 10) because its a story you'll both can enjoy.



Check out these other reviews!!!