Sunday, March 11, 2012

Review of The Woman in Black


First published in 2002.
Page count: 137 pages
Personal rating: Not bad

In short
 Set on the obligatory English moor, on an isolated causeway, the story's hero is Arthur Kipps, an up-and-coming young solicitor who has come north to attend the funeral and settle the estate of Mrs. Alice Drablow of Eel Marsh House. The routine formalities he anticipates give way to a tumble of events and secrets more sinister and terrifying than any nightmare: the rocking chair in the nursery of the deserted Eel Marsh House, the eerie sound of pony and trap, a child's scream in the fog, and, most dreadfully, and for Kipps most tragically, the woman in black. (www.goodreads.com)

My two cents
I' ve never spend so long reading a novel merely 140 pages long. Of course having a new born isn't doing wonders for my reading, and getting back to work the week after next isn't going to help either.

Although The Woman In Black couldn't move me to spend every free minute reading. I rather picked it up while I was feeding my daughter and I couldn't move anyway.
It's a ghost story, and written in a style of an age long past and I've never been a very big fan of that particular way of writing.
The point was very visible from the beginning and I mainly just read it because I bought the book and then I make myself finish the d*mn thing.

Points for the novel is the ending, but I do have to say that I'm sensitive to children getting hurt since I've got a kid of my own. The ending gave me goosebumps, even though I saw it coming a long way off.

Check out these other reviews!!!