Friday, February 24, 2012

The Scarlet Letter


First published in 1850.
Personal rating: I didn't finish
Page count: 228 pages

In short
The Scarlet Letter is about a woman being punished for having had an affair and becoming pregnant because of it.
In a puritan town, she is made to wear a red scarlet A on the bosom of her dress so she and all around her keep being reminded of her crime.
While she is being publicly punished, the man in question is going through the motions quietly but not less harshly and the wronged husband is trying to find out who the culprit is.
And behind all that guilt and scheming, there is a little girl trying to grow up.

My two cents
Not so long ago, I saw a movie (Scary stupid love) in which one of the characters responds to her son having to read the scarlet letter for a school assignment: 'I would've thought someone had written something better by now.'

I had just begun in this novel, and I'm not easily scared, but I should've taken the warning.
Damn, this is a boring book. I don't cuss a lot, but I just need to express how excrutiatingly bad I found it. I managed to read just over half of the book, but I regret doing so because I could've spend that time on another possibly better book.
I've never had a book where I read whole pages and couldn't remember what I had read just after finishing it so many times as with this novel.

Sorry, but not impressed, not in the least. I feel like I'm in the right for asking my money back.

Check out these other reviews!!!