Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Review of American Gods


Page count: 656 pages
First published in 2001
Personal rating: Fine

In short
American Gods is about religion. And not only the current religions. Just imagine the gods we worship and used to worship exist for real. What would happen if we moved on and forgot about them? Can a god exist without someone who believes in him? American gods  tries to answer that question.

My two cents
Too long, the novel was too long. I didn't dislike it, but it dragged on a little beyond what I felt was comfortable. Of course for the Gaiman fan that's nothing but A-okay.. (as I tend to feel about a Stephen King novel) but I'm not overly impressed with his writing.
Don't get me wrong, his style and technique are rocking, but I just can't seem to get into that story of his. I feel like I'm watching the story from above, or feel like I'm watching it on telly but with words. The graveyard book gave me the same feeling.

Not to mention that I went in expecting a whole other story. I actually thought it would be someting a little more apocalyptic, but in the end it even had the good ending.. Not a big fan of those.
All in all, not a bad story if you're into it, but I'm glad I finished it. I'm actually happy I finished it, it looked bleak at some time.

Check out these other reviews!!!