Thursday, July 4, 2013

Review of The Rules of Attraction


How to analyse this novel?
I have no idea. It read like a diary constructed from different vantage points.
A community college where all sorts of misfits fit together. The atmosphere of the derailing eighties, people randomly meeting other people, having casual intercourse, never getting beyond a deep narcisistic behavioural pattern.

None of the characters drew me in.
The story felt like a cheap soap story you can't not miss, but isn't interesting at all when you think about it.

The praise on the back is telling about how the 80's felt, how Ellis captured this feeling brilliantly and maybe this is true (then I'm a little glad I grew up in the nineties), as far as I know the 80's were a brilliant age of music and film.
I think Bret Easton Ellis has a style you need to warm up to. Maybe the next novel of his will be more my thing.

Check out these other reviews!!!