Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Review of And Then There Were None



Ten people, each with something to hide and something to fear, are invited to a lonely mansion on Indian Island by a host who fails to appear but leaves a recording accusing all of undetected murder. Cut off by his orders, one by one each die according to a nursery rhyme Ten Little Indians. A confession in a bottle solves how nobody remains alive. (Goodreads)


When I started reading this I didn't know what to expect. Not this anyway.
This is a delightful little 'closed room mystery' without much decorations. It was written very straightforward and in a no nonsense style which held your attention securely in check. If it had been more elaborate I don't think I would've stuck to this novel the way I did. It has been a long time since I have read a novel in one sitting.
Of course this isn't deep moving literature, it's like taking a breath from having to think and just relax.

What can I tell you about the storyline?
Not so much without giving major spoilers.
10 people are being summoned to an island under different pretenses. They have all commited a crime of some extent without being severely punished for it. Some unknown individual has found this out and is intent to punish them for it.
When the guests start dying one by one and without an obvious culprit, suspicion reigns their hearts and minds.
It makes for one hell of a ride.

I'm definitely going to read more of Agatha Christie and I'm hoping other novels are as good as this one.

Personal rating: 4 stars

Check out these other reviews!!!