Monday, March 3, 2014

Review of The Shining Girls


I picked up this book because the title reminded me of one of Stephen King's novel. A reason as good as any to stumble upon a good read.

1930’s America: Lee Curtis Harper is a delusional, violent drifter who stumbles on a house that opens onto other times.

Driven by visions, he begins a killing spree over the next 60 years, using an undetectable MO and leaving anachronistic clues on his victims’ bodies.

But when one of his intended ‘shining girls’, Kirby Mazrachi, survives a brutal stabbing, she becomes determined to unravel the mystery behind her would-be killer. While the authorities are trying to discredit her, Kirby is getting closer to the truth, as Harper returns again and again…(www.goodreads.com)


I wasn't sure what kind of novel I was getting into when I took it home from the library with me. Maybe the title got me carried away, because it has nothing to do with the twins of the famous Stephen King novel 'The Shining'.
When you start reading, and you're like me, you'll get carried away quickly. Not so much because the story is excellent or filled with cliffhangers (those who've read Game of Thrones know what I talk about), but this novel got me seriously involved because it's been written really good. The characters feel like they too have blood running through their veins. It's like a fantasy story about a killer that could've almost really happened. Especially Kirby is a character other writers can take notes from, Lauren Beukes has portrayed her infamously good. I liked this novel, mainly because I liked Kirby and I wanted to see her kick ass.

I've never read anything from Lauren Beukes before, but I'm going to try my hand at another. If she's as good a writer in all her novels, she's got herself an extra fan!
Plus, completely of the point, I do like books with short chapters.

Read it and you'll love it!

Personal score: 4 stars

Check out these other reviews!!!