Monday, December 7, 2015

We'll always have Paris


Who doesn't think back of the wonderful movie, where the title of this novel originated?


Bradbury uses this famous oneliner to christen one of his short stories. A peculiar one, at that. 
We'll always have Paris is a mix of very odd stories. 
I've read Bradbury before and I loved his Fahrenheit 451, and although I don't prefer collections of short stories, The Ilustrated Man delivers what you want. 
This one, though, is a bit too random for my taste. It feels like these were the kind of stories he wrote for the fun of it, not really intending anyone to read them. Just writing them, because he could. And I loved the way his mind worked, I wish I could roam the possibilities he must have seen. 

We'll always have Paris takes you through space, time and dimensions, in tales that span over decades. They vary from sad to strange to ecstatic to wtf... 
The thing they all have in common is their short live. It's a collection of very short stories, of which you can read up to three in half an hour. 
And most of them keep you guessing right until the end. 
They're all pretty Twilighty.. Rod Serling would have a blast if he had these stories to put into episodes. 

I've explained my opinion about short stories before and I'm not going to put you through that again. 
We'll always have Paris just emphasises my point. I want to tell you what I found the best story from this collection and having just finished it last night, I already have trouble remembering half of them. 
It's like junkfood, forgotten once it's gone. 
So, instead of my favourite, I'm giving you a sense of how I felt when I read those stories. 
I was seeing the world slowly blooming. Each of his stories has a unique way of telling that the mind isn't limited and if you have the courage just say what you want to say. Or dream what you want. 



Check out these other reviews!!!