Thursday, December 24, 2015

Cat's Cradle


Finally done with this monster of a novel.
A masterpiece it has been called, but I'm not seeing the beauty of it.
And I should have known it, because Slaughterhouse 5 didn't sit too well with me either.

I'm not sure I'm getting it why everyone likes this novel.
It's a discontinuous novel consisting of very short chapters that guarantee a complete dissatisfied and awkward journey.

The story in this novel is quite simple.
It's set in the aftermath of detonating the atomic bomb.
At first I was led to believe that this was a fictional novel about what people in America did when the bomb was dropped. But it's not.
It's a novel about another total destruction weapon. More deadly than a nuclear bomb. A weapon that could alter the fate of our world forever.
The fictional Ice-Nine. An altered water molecule with the ability to freeze instantly. Dropped in water everything consisting of water, freezes over.

Sounds like the movie Frozen to me.
But that's just me.. the white walkers from Game of Thrones sounds like Frozen to me, too.

So, on that premise, we have a protagonist who is telling the story he already lived through.
He's a member of a brand new religion, Bokononism.


Yep, Bokononism. A few quotes from the Great Books of Bokonon.

All the true thing I am about to tell you are shameless lies.
Anyone unable to understand how a useful religion can be founded on lies will not understand this book either.
The whole reason behind Bokonon - and a lot of made-up words - you can read about in this book.
I just didn't see the reason of it.
It's writing as an art form instead of as a means of enjoyment.

It's probably the last Vonnegut I'll ever read.

Check out these other reviews!!!