Friday, May 1, 2020

Diagnose Drift


I read this one in dutch, since there isn't a translation available.
It's a non-fiction book about today's culture of trying to label children's behaviour so society can provide better care and why that's not right.

The first part was enlightening and since I struggle myself with a kid that isn't easy to handle, I recognized a lot of its content. It's true that she's not the easiest child to teach, but I've come to learn (due to the restrictions caused by Corona) that my daughter is more than she seems on the outside. She's very intelligent, to a point where, as a caregiver, you need to measure the things you lay down. She'll be the first to point out the faults, if there are some.
And I can imagine that such an attitude in school, where the teacher needs to divide her attention between 24 pupils, it's very tiring and frustrating.
But that's actually not my daughters fault. She needs a lot of attention, but when she feels validated she will just as easily work or play on her own.

So what needs to change then? My daughter? Or the system?
And this book tackles that sensitive point of view.. that currently an individual is less important than the whole.

The second part of the book was less interesting. The case studies discussed are all from a Dutch point of view (The Netherlands) and the situation in Belgium is different, so it failed to hold my attention. Since I'm grasping for reading time, I didn't finish it.
The ideas in it are enlightening and for me enough to encourage me in finding another way to get society to fit to my daughters needs.


Check out these other reviews!!!