Sunday, June 28, 2020

Nobody's boy


First of all.. I'm reading very little. Don't think that I forgot or neglected my blog, but reading hasn't been on my top list for a bit. Mainly because I haven't slept well for about 8 months straight (jippie parenthood).
Beside that I needed to combine my work with two kids at home, a baby who needs a lot of attention and an 8y old who might even need more :)

But finally I managed to finish another book!
Nobody's Boy is a novel I have read before when I was still in elementary school. It's fairly simple and straightforward, but that was probably the only kind of novel I could manage the weeks past (proof of that is my lack of progress in LOTR: The fellowship).

The story revolves around Rémy, an orphan boy who is sold to a roaming artist named Vitalis and subsequently becomes an artist himself.
On his trip through France he encounters many adventures and misfortunes. He meets new friends and loses people dear to him.
The tone of the novel is very childlike and it annoyed me sometimes that Remy depends a lot on the kindness of others, while he could negotiate with his situation himself. It's a virtue that he is surrounded by people who gladly sacrifice their own happiness for his.

I read it twice now, but I don't think it will be revisited again. My daughter for instance won't have the patience to struggle through it, mainly because its themes are going to be a bit lost on her and its pace isn't fast enough.

Check out these other reviews!!!