Tuesday, August 14, 2018

The Prisoner of Heaven


Quick-paced and fun to read.
I have read The Shadow of The Wind, but haven't read The Angel's Game yet. All three novels are part of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books series, of which yet another installment is said to be coming.

I didn't know I had the third installment until I had brought it home with me from the library, but the back cover reassured me that the novels can be read out of order. Lucky me!

If you're interested in my review of The Shadow of the Wind you can read it when you follow the link below:
The Shadow of the Wind

The Prisoner of Heaven reintroduced me to Daniel again, the protagonist of The Cemetery of The Wind to which I hadn't the warmest feeling. I'm still lukewarm about him, but as this novel isn't so action-orientated as the first one, I could easily forget my judgment of him.

For those who have read The Shadow of the Wind a lot of characters mentioned in The Prisoner of Heaven are already known. As I remember the quick events from the first installment, this one took it more leisurely.
It starts of with a strange encounter followed by a pursuit. The story could've gone many directions from there, but was quickly sidetracked by Daniels insecurities. The stranger who was followed early on in the novel seems to be the catalyst in Fermin telling Daniel a story about his past, a story that brushes Daniel's own past ever so slightly but irrevocably changed it.

This novel was about connecting the dots. I think that a lot will be explained when I read the second installment (The Angel's Game) but despite its narrator-style the novel did please me. I like novels where most is explained, leaving just a trace to leave you wanting for the rest of the story. Daniel still isn't one of my favourite literary characters, Fermin still seems a bit larger than life, Daniel's father gives me the sense of a standing clock and Bea (Daniel's wife) must be the less cultivated character in the book. (None of the women are) But together is somehow works. They're a team that make this novel worth reading.


Check out these other reviews!!!