Saturday, September 1, 2018

Autumn


What was this?



I'll let the cat out of the bag and admit I didn't finish.
Oh my god.. me and this book got on the wrong foot from page one. Seriously?!

This isn't what I'm looking for in a novel. This should have a label on it. Poetry or something like this, because it doesn't feel like a novel. Or maybe one that's trying too hard.

It's supposed to be about our current day and age and how we live our lives and how its affected by our surroundings. But seriously??
The scene in the post office for instance (it's one of the first chapters so I'm not giving too many spoilers away).. who does that? If there's one thing about living in the 21th century is that we fail to communicate properly face to face. I bet there are snarky people out there who behave like this, it must be.. but it's not like its the face of the century. It's not a proper portraying of our day and age. The fact that our protagonists likes to read is even not very common, myself obviously excluded.. ^^

But I'm not going to rant about this novel, simply because I didn't like it. It's written in a way critics would love and it's probably going to be a classic that's going to sell like hotcakes.
I've just got a hate-love relationship with 'classics' and this one is trying to hard. What's wrong with simply telling a story and see what it becomes?
I'm sure Jane Austen didn't go around trying to write the ageless classics she's gotten out of her sleeve. She wrote what she knew, with some embellishments I'm sure.
But alright.. I'm stopping myself.
Autumn did have quite a shoe to fill, since it's never easy to be runner-up to a great novel. Maybe that's got me biased that ultimately ended with me returning this novel to the local library this morning, after having struggled through 50 pages.

Too bad, honestly, because I was genuinely interested in the premise of the story. I guess the art got in the way of things.

Check out these other reviews!!!