Sunday, September 16, 2018

Peril at End House


Yup.. another Agatha Christie novel starring the infamous Hercule Poirot, a Belgian detective I haven't come to love. (too conceited for my taste)

This novel succeeds The Murder on the Blue train, which I've also read. It's actually the Poirot novel I've read before this one. Not that I intentionally chose this one as m next read. It was as much a surprise for me that the previous novel was mentioned.

So, Hercule is retired.. but it seems he still gets into the middle of trouble. This time not during his leisure time at the Riviera, but while he is enjoying the English countryside with his friend Captain Hastings.
They stumble, actually Poirot stumbles, right into the mystery of a girl whose life has been threatened several times.
The mystery of it dumbfounds Hercule Poirot as it keeps on unraveling. But it wouldn't be Poirot if it didn't have a sudden turn at the end in which everything is nicely pointed out. (that's what I don't like about it, it's all so neatly explained).

But every rain cloud has a silver lining, and this book I didn't like so much, filled in a spot of my centennial challenge. 16 'years' to go!!

I do have a final note. Due to some whimsical, not particularly thought through decisions of myself, I'm actually reading another mystery novel at this time (Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz). It's been strange to see how I was meddling these two books. As they both star peculiar detectives, one is Belgian, the other German and their setting is the English countryside, not far from London, it's easy to get mixed up. (and then they claim that women can do two things simultaneously^^)

Check out these other reviews!!!