Tuesday, April 7, 2020

1Q84


I finally finished this mastodont of a novel. I had the three parts in one book, printed on bible-like paper (very thin) which was about 1300+ pages long.
It took me nearly 3 months to finish and bear in mind that I was on maternity leave for 2 of those 3 months.
But, maybe partly because of te semi-lockdown due to Covid-19, I was able to read the final pages this morning.


After the initial cheering my husband asked if I had liked it. My answer was found to be anti-climactic.


1Q84 wasn't a revelation or one of those novels that changes the way you perceive the world around you (no pun intended ^^ ). Coming back to it day after day felt more like enjoying a show that continues for quite some time, instead of enjoying the fireworks which changes into embers much too quickly.
This novel is a crackling woodfire on a chilly night. I don't expect more from it than heat and light, but sometimes that's all one needs to get on.
I think I read it in the best time possible, because a lingering novel like this doesn't expect much from its reader. I could hop on and off really quickly depending on the needs of my family and I didn't feel frustrated.

The story revolves around a guy and a girl. Tengo and Aomame. Their love for each other is what fuels this entire novel.
Aomame is a fierce young woman, with firm beliefs on which she acts accordingly.
Tengo is a robust man with his own particular ideas who leads his life quietly, without expecting anything.
As we get to know them, the story introduces us to other interesting characters, a fantastical premise of a new religion based on 'The Little People' and a world with 2 moons in its night sky.

I recommend it to anyone not afraid of a challenge, to which the equivalent of a slow burning fire seems blissful.


Check out these other reviews!!!