Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Ik ben er niet (I'm not here)

 


The title is in Dutch, I've read it in Dutch because this one hasn't been translated to English (yet). 

The author is flemish, like myself, and has written a bestseller a few years back which will be adapted to television in a year or so (Het Smelt - It Melts). This is the difficult follow-up, but the first one of her that I've read, which probably made my judgment less subjective to comparison. 

The story revolves around 2 characters: Simon and Leo (Leo is the female protagonist here, don't mind the odd use of her name, I think it's a bit staged for use later in the book). They're both introverts with a creative outlet. Leo is a screenplay writer, currently working in a little shop with her best friend, while writing a little in her spare time. Simon is a graphic designer, doing this also for a living. Both have lost their mother and don't have any other family to fall back onto (especially the relationship with the father is problematic). They gravitate to one another and try to ease each others suffering. 

They feel like a happy couple, but that's not the first impression that we get. We actually get thrown right into the fray. Simon comes home frantically happy while Leo has been worries (he's been gone almost the entire night). He's not his usual self, but for Leo to come to grips with the new version of her partner is a slow burner. You're not sure where this story is going. Because I have read absolutely zilch about this novel beforehand, my mind was open to all possibilities. None of them felt good. Those first chapters, felt like entering a cold and clammy room, where you're meant to stay and live, but you can't even get your feet and hands to warm up. An unwelcome feeling, but also feeling a bit lost and alone. 

Because for two people to be each others world, what happens if one of those people decide they are doing just fine on their own. 

I actually liked the overall tone of the novel. Her descriptions were a bit elaborate. I'm actually curious to know how many people remember so much details from their spouse. I'm in a relationship of 20+ years and we don't have those kind of habits. And we're also closely knitted. 

But if you can get passed those and just ride the wave of the story she's trying  to tell, you'll probably like the novel as well. It's written pretty good, only a few times the story stalled a little. I actually was amazed at how quick is progressed, with it being such a thick book, that I worried halfway what was still to come. I felt like I was already told most of the story. (Don't worry, the story doesn't fold on itself, it keeps on being interesting the entire book). 

So, I'm recommending it, for now just for my Dutch friends, and hopefully a translation will be available in the near future. 

Check out these other reviews!!!