Sunday, September 12, 2021

Mexican Gothic

 


This was a very good story! I had read about it on Goodreads and immediately became intrigued, not thinking I would get my hands on it rather quickly. 

But fortune favours the lucky, I guess, because there it was a few months later, in my local library, in English nonetheless. 

This is a very good 'Haunting House' story. Very captivating with an eerie quality about it. I enjoyed it very much. The characters, especially the two main ones (Noemi and Francis) were very well drawn and I could identify with their personal struggles. 
One minor thing is that the other characters remain a bit bland and rather fixed in their respective good or evil tendencies. The story could've deepened if the inhabitants of High Place had a more realistic set of values even though their tendencies went towards evil. Howard Doyle was the exploit in this story and this terrible things, but it seemed that evil went through the genes in that family. It would've been interesting to see more wavering in their convictions. 

The same with the villagers (the doctor and the herbalist). One seemed to be there to have a nice rounded ending (which would do great in American cinema, but I Would've preferred it to be a bit darker), the other to easily explain things. Such mechanics don't usually happen in real life, where answers and endings are so well measured and it would've been nice to see that in this story. 

Okay, so I had more than one minor things, but don't get me wrong. The novel itself is very good and I only stating things that would've made it formidable. 

Check out these other reviews!!!