Saturday, January 26, 2019

Haunted Heart: The Life and Times of Stephen King


That's one cool cover for a book!!


I'm noticing I've gradually began reading more and more non-fiction instead of the tales of the imagination the last couple of years, so a biography of one of my childhood heroes couldn't be left out in the cold.
Why do I say that Stephen King was the hero of my childhood. Knowing him and his work he's probably not the first in mind when you'd choose heroes, but if you were forced like me to spend every weekend from April to October (and in the summer 6 full weeks) in a holiday park where no one child is during those off season periods, his books have pulled me through. They made that timespan from Friday 6 o'clock, when we began the car journey to a play about an hour's drive away, until Sunday 7 o'clock seem like mere minutes.
I read a lot as a kid, mainly because I was bored half the year with having no one to play with and nothing new to discover on my familiar 'getaway'. King's books were the ones that intrigued me as soon as I traipsed into the 'adult' section of the library. It actually took some speech skills to even be allowed to take them home with me. They first wouldn't let me, saying that it wasn't appropriate for an eleven year old child. I call that bull!!
In the end, in my persistence, that allowed me to take 'Christine' home with me. It was a grand opening into what became a quest to read everything he ever wrote. I can even proudly say that most of his books are lined up in my bookcase. I love his books.
They provide entertainment when I need it. They are written well enough to quench my critical nature, but have a story that pulls you along deftly. Everyone should read King, especially if you haven't already. He isn't only the master of horror. He is so much more, most of all the master of craftsmanship.

Then to read this biography, of which I knew some particulars but not all, is an eye opener. It made me respect him as a writer on a whole new level.
From his meager beginning and the lucky break he got with Carrie, although his very first novel (not in publication order) is my all-time favourite (The Long Walk), he went on to be one of the most disputed and celebrated writers of the 80's and 90's.
It was fun to read a bit about his family life, but I was most awed by his work ethic, even through his addiction years. I admire him for never forgetting the little things even when he living the 'life'.

The book itself was written very well, with neat titles for each chapter, referring to his novels or short stories. It read almost like a novel and if I hadn't known some of his hardships, I would've found it incredible that so many good and bad things happened to him.
Lisa made the journey fun to travel. It didn't feel like a sightseeing tour, but more like we got to spend a few days as ghosts wandering his mansion.


Check out these other reviews!!!