Wednesday, March 6, 2019

In search of lost time #4: Sodom and Gomorrah


I've read this in function of my centennial challenge.
I didn't know what to expect and thought it might be a bit rancid because of its title, but rest assure it's not.

In Search of lost time is spread across 7 books, in which the narrator introduces us into his live, his mind and his opinions.
I haven't read the first three, because they've been published in years I already ticked off in my challenge. Sodom and Gomorrah rings a few bells with both, mostly for its allusion to the gay community and it's exactly what Proust wanted to tell you a thing or two about.
But he does this in a very detailed and broad manner, without any explicit details or acts.

I've definitely lost time on this one, because it doesn't lend itself to a few minutes of reading here and there, and it is a struggle to get back into its flow each time you pick it up.

I don't mind a long build-up to what is in essence a good story, but Proust left me wanting a little bit. He makes his reader endure a lot, but in the end the story doesn't quite earn this long of a wait.

Check out these other reviews!!!