Wednesday, March 6, 2019

My sister, The Serial Killer


I've had a bit of time on my hands today and managed to finish this novel.

It's about two sisters, one who kills the men she's dating, the other covering up the crimes.
It uses a very sparse writing technique which needs the attention of the reader in order not to miss the subtle connections.
I thought it was entertaining enough, although I didn't feel any connection to Kerude or her sister Ayoola. Ayoola seems a bit off-center, both with killing men and her reaction afterwards. She's obviously ill and according to the author its cause is found in the abuse of her father.
Kerude, on the other hand, is overprotective and also uses the abuse in their youth to justify what her sisters does and what she enables her to keep on doing.

I like the writing, I like the story, I would've like a bit more depth in the characters, but it's a thin rope to walk when writing about this. Its sarcasm is one of its redeeming qualities and yet is the main factor why this novel lacks emotion.

The character I did like is the comatose patient. I like how he is dragged into the story from early on, as an innocent bystander and how his influence makes kerude's and Ayoola's world tremble.


Check out these other reviews!!!