Sunday, November 1, 2020

A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle #1)

 


How can I describe my opinion about this book that has a remarkable high scoring that isn't in accordance with how it impressed itself upon me. 

Wow, reading that sentence again I feel like I'm already treading lightly as to avoid stepping onto any toes. Maybe the very sensitive ones may feel a light pressure.

But I'm not gonna lie to you. This book wasn't all that spectacular. I've read fantasy before, I've read a lot of fantasy before and not only the most popular series. I've cried and laughed and cursed and hoped while going along the travels of many wizards, witches and the like. 

But sorry.. Sparrowhawk stayed a very blank figure for me. The novel seemed rushed, not at all finished but like someone trying to tell a story in one sitting instead of keeping the audience guessing a bit. It seems like most of the novel went on inside Sparrowhawk's head and as reader you didn't have access to most of his thought, which made his actions seem all the more random and out of the blue. 

It was the authors first book, so understandably that this was a little less up to par. I've already begun in the following novel and if I can state an early opinion is that it already has more build-up tension in the first chapters than A Wizard of Earthsea had in its entirety. 



Check out these other reviews!!!