Saturday, November 14, 2020

The Tombs of Atuan (Earthsea Cycle #2)

 


The Tombs of Atuan is the second installment of the Earthsea Cycle by Ursula K. Le Guin (not sure how to pronounce that.. )

I've already reviewed the first installment (you can get to it, using this link: Wizard of Earthsea) and I was a bit disappointed at how meagre the story actually was. 

Now, the second story in this saga has more backbone, more depth than its predecessor which was much needed. The story revolves around Tenar/Arha and her being High Priestess the nameless powers of the Earth. We follow her coming of age and the consequences of her choices. 

The story still progresses fairly quickly, Ged (the main protagonist from the first installment) is still a very on-the-surface character which lacks a certain amount of depth. To me it has the effect that I can't relate to this person and was more in sync with Tenar/Arha. 

Of course I've read A LOT of fantasy (since it's my favourite pastime) and this book feels like a fantasy book for beginners. Not a lot of backstory, not a lot of characters (who matter) and its read fairly quickly. It's more short story material than an actual novel. 

But I'm not one to give up (and the story isn't so bad, it's just lacks a bit of ripening) so I'm already begun reading the third installment. So, I'll be back in a bit.. 




Check out these other reviews!!!